Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Wednesday 11 June 2014

My first year experience!

I decided to do a post all about my first year experience of college/uni. This may be helpful for anyone starting college in September.

The thought of moving away from home was very scary. I was leaving home and going to a place where none of my friends from school were going. I knew that it would be hard but I had no idea how hard it would be. I was just so happy to finally get my accommodation finally sorted that I didn't ask for any details about the house. I choose to live in student accommodation. As the receptionist for the accommodation lead me and my mum to the door, she explained that I was going to be living with six other people!! Six girls!! Complete strangers! The thought got me nervous. I met all the housemates one by one. They seemed okay, but that night they went out and left me on my own. I'm a shy person anyways around new people and it was very overwhelming moving into a house with six overconfident girls. None of them seemed remotely like me. The first night away from home was horrible. I couldn't stop crying. I missed my mum so much. I just wanted to go home. The next day was orientation. I was so sad all day, I felt so homesick. I met some nice girls that day but I couldn't wait to make some proper friends. The next few weeks, I was still homesick, living in a house I absolutely hated, constant houseparties and no one cleaning up after themselves. I was starting to make friends on my course but still felt so unhappy. I was crying all the time. The thought of going home at the weekend kept me going through the week. I felt so intimidated by the girls I was living with. They always hard the house full of different people and I never once felt at home. They were such a tough few months. My life had changed so much and I just wanted to it to go back to how it was. There was a girl from my hometown who I kind of knew living nearby so I used to spend time with her sometimes. If I didn't even have her I don't know what I would have done. I was going out and having fun yeah, but I just didn't feel myself.

The second semester was so much better and I finally started to enjoy myself!
It began with seven weeks of placement, as I'm a nursing student. I loved it and it was so much better than sitting in boring lectures all day! I used to visit these two girls that I became friendly with in the first semester in the evenings. I don't know what I would have done without these. There was another girl who was in my course as well that also used to go and visit them. I was friends with her from the very beginning. All of us just bonded and became the best of friends. I love those girls way too much and we are unbelievably close. The memories we've had together since! For the last few weeks, I just spent all my time at their house and I was feeling myself again. Nothing like those horrible first few months!

Looking back I just realise that it takes time. Your not just going to adapt to your new life straight away. First year was definitely an experience and I can say I enjoyed it now, well the second semester anyways. I love my course so far and I hope it stays that way. I am going to have lots more college related posts coming up.

Chat soon...Rachel xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment